This flavorful roast can be served hot with roasted carrots and savory pan drippings or cold, thinly sliced for sandwiches. Pair with California Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon.
- 2 1/2 pounds (1135 g) pork shoulder roast, tied, trimmed of excess fat and seasoned well with salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh oregano leaves, minced
- 1 (2-inch/5 cm) sprig of rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 6 fresh large sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 whole baby carrots, cleaned with stems removed
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) California Zinfandel
- Preheat oven to 275 F (135 C).
- Mix the herbs and garlic in a small bowl.
- Rub the herb mixture evenly over the pork and into the crevices.
- Put the pork in a roasting pan. Roast uncovered for 90 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss olive oil, carrots and shallots in a large bowl.
- After 90 minutes, add the carrots and shallots to the pan and pour the California Zinfandel over the pork.
- Cook for an additional 90 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice the pork and serve with carrots and drizzle with the pan juices.